UCAS Media are committed to protecting the personal information provided to us and recognise the importance of being clear about what we collect and how and why we use and retain it. To make this policy clear and easy to use, please select and read the relevant sections below.
This policy is effective from 25th January 2016 and applies to personal information we may process when you visit or use the services of this website as a Job Seeker or Recruiter. This could mean creating a profile or Account, uploading a CV, just browsing or contacting us. If we make any changes to this policy, we will let you know by revising the updated date, placing a banner on the homepage of the website, or contacting you by email.
Who we are and how to contact us
All personal information provided by you through this website is controlled by UCAS Media, who are responsible for taking care of your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA). Their registered office is Rosehill, New Barn Lane, Cheltenham, Glos, GL52 3LZ.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about the use of your personal information, please contact us in any of the following ways:
- In writing; to the Company Secretary at UCAS, Rosehill, New Barn Lane, Cheltenham, Glos GL52 3LZ; or
- By email; to email@example.com
- By UCAS social media (please read UCAS social media etiquette guidance)
- Facebook: facebook.com/ucasonline
- Twitter: twitter.com/ucas_online
What is Personal information?
Personal information is information alone or combined with any other information we may hold that can identify you. This can include your name, hometown, email address or current place of study or recruitment organisation. We do not consider Personal Information to include information that is anonymised so that it does not allow you to be identified.
Recruiters – What personal information we collect and how we use it
When you visit or use our website we may ask for the personal information of the chosen representative of your organisation so that they create an account, post vacancies, search for job seekers or contact us. We may collect the following personal information;
- If you create an account – your name, organisation name and contact details.
- To tell you about changes to this privacy notice – the nominated contact email address and preferred contact details – to tell you when changes are made.
- If you are happy to be kept informed about our products or services – the nominated contact email address, organisation postal address and telephone number – to keep you updated about our services.
- If we ask your opinion about our services such as asking you to provide feedback about this website or our services – your name, organisation and contact details.
- If you correspond with us - for example; by email, telephone or social media – we may record the information you provide.
If any of the personal details contained in your recruiter profile change, it is important that you update your account straight away so that it is kept accurate, up to date and secure. You can do this by logging into your Recruiter Account and amending the relevant fields.
All about cookies (including how to disable them)
What is a session cookie?
A session cookie is stored in a computer's memory during your browsing session and automatically deleted when the browser is closed. They do not collect any other information from your computer. Below is a list of Session cookies that allow the website to function.
Name of cookie: adtech.de
Privacy information: http://adinfo.aol.com/about-our-ads/
Set by: AdTech (3rd party)
Type of cookie: session
Lifespan: during your browsing session only
Purpose: Controls the time and locations where ads appear, tracks the number of ads on our website and enables those ads to work on mobile devices such as smartphones or tablets.
For more information about cookies and how to disable them, please visit click here.
Other websites you may be able to access from this one
Sharing your personal information with others
The information we share with others will be the minimum necessary to enable them to provide a service to you. This includes;
- To UCAS employees who deal with the delivery of the UCAS career finder service to manage the website or to provide you with any information or services you are happy to receive.
- To the recruiters, prospective employees who enter into an Agreement with us to use our website for the purpose of recruitment, where you have opted-in to make your details or CV available to search.
- To training providers responsible for the delivery of courses, who have entered into an agreement with us to use our website for the purposes of offering training, where you have opted-in to make your details or CV available to search.
- To UCAS if you chose to engage with UCAS social media, such as through the UCAS Facebook page or Twitter account.
- To our suppliers engaged in supporting the delivery or management of the website, including those who may undertake a survey on our behalf.
- Where we are required to do so by law or we have your consent.
How long we keep your personal information and its security
All personal information we hold about you is subject to the controls of our data protection and retention policies and will be kept for;
Job-seeker: two years from the last time you visited our website.
Recruiter: seven years after you have accessed our services or a zero account balance.
Where will my personal information be kept?
We take steps to make sure we hold your personal information securely and share it with people or organisations who need to access it. This includes maintaining Information Security standards in line with the international standard ISO 27001:2013.
We also make sure any personal information we need to transfer to other organisations to provide our services commit to keeping your personal information secure and solely for the purposes it was provided.
When you create a profile, you will be asked to choose a password to enable you to revisit your profile and account. You must take care to keep your password secure and should not disclose it to anyone. We will not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by you as a result of you sharing your password with an unauthorised third party.
All about our Marketing
We ask for your consent when you create your profile to receive further information from UCAS Media that may be of interest to you from about us or other related 3rd party organisations. We do not provide you details to any 3rd party for marketing purposes. You can change your marketing preferences at any time by re-visiting the ‘marketing preferences’ section of your account.
Each time you receive marketing information from UCAS Media, you will be asked if you are still happy to receive it. You can however stop us from contacting you at any time, please see the “how to stop marketing” section below.
How to stop Marketing
You can stop UCAS from contacting you for marketing purposes using any one of the ways below;
- Amending and saving your preferences within your account on the website;
- Replying to any opt out instruction detailed within each communication you receive from UCAS Media; or by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Display marketing and how to switch it off
We also use Google, Twitter and Facebook remarketing features which supports promotion of our services you have shown an interest in, if you have subscribed to Google, Twitter or Facebook. This may be based on anonymous information collected by cookies when you visit our website. This includes things like your mobile device location (if location features are turned on), browser cookie ID, mobile device identifier, hashed (anonymous) email address, and IP addresses. This helps us provide you with relevant adverts relating to UCAS if you have a Twitter, Facebook or Google account. You can opt out of audience advertising by:
- Turning on the Do Not Track setting in your web browser so that Twitter or Facebook do not match your account to browser-related information to tailor our ads for you.
- Enabling the Limit Ad Tracking setting (on iOS devices) or the setting to Opt out of Interest-Based Ads (on Android), so that Twitter or Facebook do not tailor our adverts for you by matching your device to information from partners.
Further details about cookies which are set when you use this website, including how to disable them can be found in the ‘all about Cookies’ section of this policy.
Access or amendments to your personal information
The DPA provides you with the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. If you want to make a request please put your request in writing by post or email using either of those contact details in section 10 above. There is a fee of £10 payable to UCAS. A cheque for this amount should be sent to UCAS when your request is made.
You may also request that we amend or remove your records held by UCAS Media Limited at any time. To do so, please email email@example.com.
We will regularly review this notice to ensure it reflects the personal information that we may request from you, and how it may be used. The date of subsequent revisions are recorded at the beginning of this notice and an alert banner will be placed on the home page of this website.